From Saturday 13th August until Sunday 27th November
The Historic Dockyard, Chatham
A new and expanded exhibition especially for the Historic Dockyard, Chatham, based on material from the Pole of Cold expedition. More information, including opening times, directions and ticket prices, at:
Discover the mystical world of the Arctic and the people who live there. From Shamanism to ice cream. Kent’s very own polar explorer Felicity Aston MBE presents a diverse and exciting exhibition, which combines the natural world, adventure and art. This compelling exhibition gives an insight into the coldest place on earth.
Pole of Cold explores what life is like in some of the coldest permanently inhabited places in the Arctic. The photographs and words are from the expedition led by Felicity Aston and are visually stunning.
This exhibition mixes stunning photography with a number of interactive elements:
- Try on a pair of snow goggles or mittens worn to protect against the cold
- Design your own polar clothing in our own version of a Siberian house
- Listen to traditional chants known as ‘joiking*’
- Discover a series of little known facts about the peoples of the Arctic through your journey in the gallery
- Tell us what winter means to you!